Loss Of Orientation Recovery

Discussion in 'General Subjects' started by gonehelimad, Jul 4, 2015.

By gonehelimad on Jul 4, 2015 at 2:41 PM
  1. gonehelimad

gonehelimad Active Member

Ive only been flying for about solid 15 weeks (typically anywhere between 5-20 packs over the weekend) so my experiences amount to an infinitely small quantity when compared to the collective experiences of heli pilots on this forum and indeed some of the grand masters (in my eyes). You all know who you are.

However thought id share some thoughts and opinions on the subject of loss of orientation recovery in general.

We all try very hard to avoid a loss of orientation during flight (as much as we can) and im sure we all know im not not talking about forgetting which way is north or where the mens (or ladies) is at. For the more experienced this rarely occurs and there is no doubt this comes with experience and practice. For those of us who are still developing and honing our skills, or just learning new moves it is inevitable that we come across fleeting moments where at the end of a move or for distraction reasons, just due to bad visibility (heli is too far / or very cloudy and heli is in shadow) or purely a crashheligod factor we find ourself questioning the orientation of our helicopter / position (tail position / attitude).

Most times its when we have ample time to think it through, and others its during high speed manouvres where quick recovery is required but sometimes very difficult.

I come across this scenario personally every now and again (mostly when im trying something new) and during that split second, i subconsciously start going through the subconscious thought process of determining how my heli is oriented and together with a rapid quick soft small stick movements / visual feedback frenzy try to figure out which way im up or where my tail is at.

Most times its instantaneous recognition and correction, but other times it takes quite a few iterations of small stick movements to figure out whats going on and the remedial actions (which happens quite quickly actually) but what probably feels like a lot longer.

Even when we finally regain awareness of orientation. There is still the risk that we sometimes make the wrong correction (Dumb thumb) even though our mind is telling us otherwise.. ie

mind telling me to push cyclic stick forward / pitch down .. (Where im in a inverted tail out and heading nosewards down slightly), but instead i do the opposite (cyclic stick backwards - ie as if im not inverted). and then its back to the feedback loop where hopefully it eventually clicks and we correct out.

So apart from the obvious methods 1-2 below)

1) Ongoing repetition of moves and doing all these in all orientations / positions (out to left / right etc) as recommended by smackmeharder in many of his tutorials helps make loss of orientation a none issue and effectively is a preventative method approach and is probably the best method overall
    2) doing all new moves really slowly so i know what my heli is doing at all times.

What i do is an adaption of what happens during real pilot plane training (where the instructor takes control of the plane, and you are blindfolded / eyes closed) whilst the instructor throws the plane around, eventually returning control to you to, relying on you to bring the plane back to a safe and level altitude. Bingo.

More recently at the end of my sim training sessions ill close my eyes (with heli up high) and for a good 2-3 seconds just let my thumbs go crazy. And then challenge myself to bring the heli back to level safe altitude with the emphasis of this being done as quickly as possible. Ill repeat this about 20-30 times working my way closer and closer to the ground (forcing me to react to recovery quicker).

My preference is that despite new gadgets coming out that have autobail out / self leveling taking the thinking out of recovery. id still prefer to have a mental autobail out built into my abilities as the flow on effects can only improve overall skill / orientation / control and reliability in my flying capabilities.

Now it looks like it might good enough to fly outside, gunna go charge my batteries.

Comments

Discussion in 'General Subjects' started by gonehelimad, Jul 4, 2015.

1. smakmeharder

smakmeharder Administrator

Yes very true @gonehelimad . One thing which I spoke about in some of the beginners tutorials is associating a "WORDS" which relate to the orientation of the heli and a stick movement. Now you are probably past this stage now... but for raw beginners for example sideways hovering is a challenging maneuver. This technique can be used for any trick and any orientation and will get your thoughts together just by quoting a simple memory jogger to recover in times of stress.

So lets take an example - sideways hovering. If you move the aerolin stick towards the head of a helicopter while in a sideways hover it will come towards you. Also while in a sideways hover - with the heli directly in front of you - if you move the aerolin stick towards the tail of the helicopter, the helicopter will move away from you. So in order to remember the right stick movements i repeat these words when flying on the sim and when flying for real. Untill you get the manouver welded into your subconscious.

With heli sideways.... Move the aerolin stick towards tail of the heli makes the heil move away..... so my memory prompter is TAIL - TA TA (as in goodbye) and if you move the stick towards the head of the heli you say HEAD - HELLO. Now it might sound goofy but it woked with me and many others. Practice repeating these words while on the sim. When on the field, do the same. When you end up in a time of crisis when flying for real, if you need to move the heli away from you in a sideways hover (from any direction, inverted or upright) you just say TAIL- TATA and your brain responds.

I still use this technique modified for new tricks on key position indicators (ie top of heli, tail of heli) It works a treat.

2. simon

simon Well-Known Member

Practice high, if you loose orientation, go to zero pitch, your heli will fall out of the sky slower and give you more time. Go to a safe position, normally tail in upright. if you can't tell tail in from nose in (happens a bit) move the rudder left and right, you figure it it fast that way,
      recover....
      Jobs right
      smak on
      Oh, and try not to panic
      Simon
      ps Sage adice from @smakmeharder when side on, saves you eating your heli

3. Stuart

Stuart Active Member

Someone mentioned to me recently that when you loose orientation and can't tell if your upright or inverted (obviously because your Heli is very high or very far away) you can move your rudder stick to the right. If upright your tail moves clockwise, if inverted it moves anti clockwise.

Failing to determine orientation is only a matter of time until you know which way your orientated. If you wait long enough you will be oriented in a mess on the ground...

4. Beaver

Beaver Well-Known Member

Last few time I experienced loss of orientation, I went for the rudder and spun the tail till I could see which way the heli was facing. Usually within 1/2 rotation I was able to reestablish orientation and correct cyclic without loosing altitude.

5. Beaver

Beaver Well-Known Member

(The Evil One should be adding one on his clever little suggestions here any time now I suspect)

6. simon

simon Well-Known Member

I'd take this advice with a measure of caution. This will work if you know which way your heli is flying. If it's flying (and you know it to be true) away from you but can't tell if it's upright or inverted this is true, but if it's upright and flying towards you then you will see the same effect when you push the rudder, as you do do when it's inverted and flying away from you. If you can't tell if it's upright or inverted, then there's a big chance you can't tell if it is coming towards you or flying away. I still think go to mid stick collective and start playing with rudder and small collective movements to suss it out. In these situations, you are probably going to meet a certain Nameless God, but mid stick IMHO will give you the most time to try and save the situation. In my experience, these situations tend to happen when you are really high, not so much when you are far away. Amd throttle hold is always the last action when the inevitable is inevitable.
      Simon

7. Stuart

Stuart Active Member

The trick is don't get so far away you can't tell... Lol..

Stuart
      Citizen #507

8. simon

simon Well-Known Member

Absolutely

9. Beaver

Beaver Well-Known Member

That's not very far when flying a Nano.

10. Stuart

Stuart Active Member

Yep the Nano is a bit different to a 500/700 size heli. But then it's a fpdifferent problem with the Nano.. You don't need to worry about orientation, if your not careful it doesn't take much before you simply can't see it at all..

11. Beaver

Beaver Well-Known Member

Staying in visual range leads to the other problem: Having to duck and cover when it inevitably makes a run at your head.