Help Meanwell Rsp-2000-48 12v Via Aux Cn501 Port Question

Discussion in 'The Chat Room' started by Stuart, Oct 11, 2014.

By Stuart on Oct 11, 2014 at 11:01 PM
  1. Stuart

Stuart Active Member

Just brought the icharger 4010 duo and a meanwell rsp-2000-48 power supply.. Moving into being able to charge and fly rather than charging the day before...

Going to build a case for it with a few other goodies.. The meanwell dock states it can also supply some 12v current through a Aux pin along with a remote turn on/off switch through the same 12 male pin set.

The question I have is had anyone used the 12v from the meanwell? I have not been able to find a female plug that fits the CN501 male pin holder?

Comments

Discussion in 'The Chat Room' started by Stuart, Oct 11, 2014.

1. mr_squiggle

mr_squiggle Well-Known Member

The 12v is only rated at 0.8amps so it's 100 watts which means it's only good for powering the circuitry designed to switch the supply on and off remotely, or maybe a handful of LEDs perhaps. Either way it won't supply much & shouldn't be overloaded.
      For the connector you are chasing have a look at the Mean Well PDF spec sheet & you'll see a mating housing HRF DF 11-12DS. A quick google search shows quite a few places (all outside Aust) where you can get some, albeit you'll have to buy a few to satisfy the minimum orders. You could try Progressive RC, they might have the connector blocks.

Citizen #186

• Like Like x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
      • List
    2. Stuart

Stuart Active Member

thanks @mr_squiggle.. I will drop PRC a note..

what do people do for 12v then? use some sort of step down for the fans and usb?

3. mr_squiggle

I noted that I missed the decimal place in my last post, the 12v output is only good for 10 watts, not 100.
      The step down from 48v to 12v requires a voltage regulator, also known as a DC to DC converter. There's plenty around when you do a google search. They come in many different output current configurations so it pays to think about what you want the 12v for and how much current you really need.
      I didn't find a combined 12v and USB converter, but they exist for a 24v input so maybe they exist. If you can't find one then you'll need to use a 12v to USB (5v) adaptor & wire it in to the output of the 12v converter.
      Fans are made in a range of voltages including 48v so you could go that way, like this http://www.digikey.com/product-search/en?mpart=PMD4812PMB1-A.(2).GN&vendor=259. Alternatively 24v fans are relatively common & two fans in series will run happily on 48v.

Citizen #186

4. Stuart

Stuart Active Member

Awesome, thanks, sounds like a bit of design and a trip to jcar...

5. mr_squiggle

If Jaycar don't have it RS Components or Farnell probably will.

Citizen #186

6. Stuart

Stuart Active Member

Thanks