Question? Multi-rotors. Hurting Or Helping The Rc Helicopter Hobby?

Discussion in 'The Chat Room' started by smakmeharder, Jan 17, 2015.

By smakmeharder on Jan 17, 2015 at 11:32 AM
  1. smakmeharder

smakmeharder Administrator

Well just wondering. Are people who fly RC helis switching to muti rotors? Some people are claiming the rc helicopter industry is in massive decline. Personally as far as our board goes, we are not being adversely affected at the moment- in fact probably the opposite.

So are the people who would normally take to rc helicopters being cut off at the pass by multi rotors because of their simplicity?

IMO i think that multi rotors will find their own niche and it may even encourage more people to take on RC helicopters because there are not many challenges associated with flying a quad - ie nowhere near the same adrenalin rush.

So are quads good or bad for rc helicopters.... is the industry in decline and if so why?

Comments

Discussion in 'The Chat Room' started by smakmeharder, Jan 17, 2015.

1. Geena

Geena Well-Known Member

Multi rotors, are definitely causing a decrease in the helicopter industry here in the US. There are just so many people over here who can`t, or won`t take the time to learn to fly a helicopter. It`s much easier to get a GPS equipped quad and the next day they are an RC "pilot". I`m sure multi rotors won`t kill the RC helicopter market completely, but they have put a sizable dent in it in the past couple of years.

I personally don`t like multi rotors and have no use for them. They have been receiving bad press over here for quite some time now, and making the FAA frown on all RC aircraft. It`s not the fault of the quads themselves, but the amount of unskilled operators who fly them into restricted airspace.......like airports and military bases. They fly them way above the 400ft (121.92M) ceiling we have here for model aircraft, and fly FPV.....(again with no FPV experience, and most often relying on the GPS because they can`t control the aircraft without it)....over populated areas where a crash could lead to severe personal injury for someone on the ground. Not to mention the perves who use them to spy on their neighbors.

Please don`t take this the wrong way. I have no problem with a skilled multi rotor pilot doing FPV. as long As they do it safely, and follow the laws and regulations so no one gets hurt. multi rotors are just another aspect of our hobby, but it must be done correctly.

2. joffa13

joffa13 Member

I wonder if the guys who fly multi-rotors might progress to helicopters. It is a progression if you look at it from a flying point of view. It that is the case then in the future we might find these people moving to RC helicopters once they discover that you need ninja skills to do advanced f3c and 3d flying

3. Geena

Geena Well-Known Member

I have actually seen the opposite happen here. I know several people who started learning helicopters and switched to quads because they`re easier. But I`m sure there are a bunch out there , who will start with quads and go on to helicopters after they gain some experience.

4. joffa13

joffa13 Member

Dam... I was hoping to be optimistic :-( . I cant understand why apart from the quick learning aspect.

5. feral

feral Well-Known Member

Well said and couldnt agree more

6. feral

feral Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

This will be the only quad I'll be owning

7. utrinque

utrinque Well-Known Member

I do not get it why:
      - plankers hate heli pilots
      - heli pilots blame multi rotor pilots
      - heli pilots make fun of RC cars
      - heli pilots do not try RC sail boats
      - many heli pilots fight clone helis

There is only one clue to understand this phenomenon. Money they already spend.

I do planks, cars, sailboats and helis. I am waiting to get at some point quad similar to Stingray. I abandoned FPV for a while.

Live and let live. Learn from others.

8. smakmeharder

Its just in the nature of things i guess. I will try most things but not everything catches my interest. I like RC cars but could not drive them for as long as i fly my heli because I tend to get a bit bored. Funny about the sailboat, the way storm has been blowing the wind lately, I honestly thought about putting a boat on a nearby lake. Many of the guys at our field have RC boats and cars. Clones are a bit of a neutral subject for me. If a clone is good it is good. If its not, its not. One thing is certain, clones are cheaper and I think that the cost of helicopters could have steered some people away - especially in the learning stages. I dont think RC helis are doomed, I just think that they will go through a cycle. Lets face it, rc helis have never been a mainstream hobby. So many people are amazed when they see my helicopter fly for the first time - so most people dont even know what RC helicopters can do...

9. Stuart

Stuart Active Member

I have both heli and quad. I just started some FPV, it's a buzz. I found the quad helpful in learning heli orientation...

Stuart
      Citizen #507

10. smakmeharder

would you be bothered now flying a RC Helicopter now you have the quad @Stuart?

11. Stuart

Stuart Active Member

For me I'm a heli flier so the quad is simply some fun recreation. A few hours at the field I might fly 10-12 heli packs and 1-2 quad packs.

12. smakmeharder

Thats a good way to break up the flying. Too much heli flying can be exhausting....

13. Manyc

Manyc Well-Known Member

I fly the quads.. but only for fpv... sometimes it's been a long day and it's nice to sit down put the the feet up and chase some feathered friends...

I think people who went from helis to quads would have stopped anyway.. and I know at least one person who has gone from quads into helis...

14. feral

feral Well-Known Member

Thats why I huck the shiz out of my planks bro

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • List
    15. smakmeharder

I like the look of 3d planks.. I think it could be alot of fun @feral!

16. feral

feral Well-Known Member

Look up liftytim on youtube he is probably the 1 true pro 3d plane pilot in Aus.
      And a very cool dude to boot

17. utrinque

Last edited: Jan 18, 2015
    18. utrinque

19. Beaver

Beaver Well-Known Member

I don't think quads and multis will ever completely replace true helis. Just because they fly like a heli does not make them a heli. (walks like a duck/quacks like a duck) I can see certain uses for multi rotor craft, as they make good utility platforms where function is more important than form. Recreational flying, however, choosing a multi over a heli makes as much sense as using an R/C bulldozer for oval dirt-track racing.