Info Never Solely Rely On Your Bec

Discussion in 'The Chat Room' started by Manyc, Jan 5, 2015.

By Manyc on Jan 5, 2015 at 9:59 PM
  1. Manyc

Manyc Well-Known Member

So.. here's a little story about a castle 120 edge. It came into use with a lovely new trex 700 kit... nearly 18 months ago.. it was mounted up and was a good little ESC.. but summer was a bit to hot, and it's big brother a castle 160 edge with a fan came along to help out...

It sat on a shelf for a little bit, then was reborn into a goblin 570. Now since this was a smaller heli, he had a little nephew come and help.. his name was BEC. And he was always there taking power off the esc, but he didnt mind.. he loved his little bec buddy.. but the BEC wasnt just taking taking the power for himself.. no no.. he liked to share.. and he gave it to his buddies the FBL, servo's and RX...

Little BEC had a cousin.. called Backup Guard. BEC had no idea what his cousin did... it just looked like he was sitting there just to look pretty, and always seemed to be listening on on what happened between BEC and his mates...

Anyway one day.. after they had all been hanging out together... the Castle had a problem.. its EC5 de-soldered and it stopped talking to the battery.. oh no.. but thats ok the BEC is there.. oh wait! now there is no power for the bec to take.. the Bec's buddies needed that power... but BEC was letting them down... and then something amazing happened.. the BackupGuard starting sharing power with BEC's buddies.. the FBL, Servos and RX.. what an awesome thing for it to do..

So what happened to the poor heli in all this... well it came down nicely, broke some landing gear but that was it.... wasn't that a happy ending...

Morale of the story... if your running a BEC, run another backup power source, be it a Scorpion BackupGuard, and optipower ultra guard, or just a plain old life buffer back.... cause you never know whats going to happen....

The End....

• Like Like x 5
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List

Comments

Discussion in 'The Chat Room' started by Manyc, Jan 5, 2015.

1. Geena

Geena Well-Known Member

I firmly believe in the idea that two is one and one is none as far as receiver power goes. I run Gryphon BECs on all of my nitro helicopters, and a Castle BEC Pro on the Goblin 570. All of them have Scorpion backup guards on them just in case the BECs, or the receiver pack itself fails. Plus I also use telemetry so that I will know if the BUG takes over, and I can land. One more thing that I do with the nitro helicopters, is a throttle return spring. If I put one in, and the throttle link pops off.....like they love to do. The spring will pull the the throttle fully closed, shutting the engine down and preventing the dreaded chicken dance.

2. Crash Heligod

Crash Heligod Moderator Staff Member

Oh @Manyc what a wonderful story with a such a tragic ending! There was NO CRASH! :-( or very little damage anyway. Let me just say that backup guards take the fun out of the BEC failures. Why have something that is predictable? Live on the EDGE my boy and discard that BackupGuard! Real men auto with no electronics!!!

• Funny Funny x 2
      • Like Like x 1
      • List
    3. dazelec

dazelec Active Member

I want what you're smoking... nah good write up mate. I always use a seperate reciever battery for my helis and no BEC'S.

• Like Like x 3
      • Funny Funny x 1
      • List
    4. smakmeharder

smakmeharder Administrator

lucky boy @Manyc - or should I say well prepared..

5. Johnnybgoode

Johnnybgoode Active Member

Write your reply...
      Very smart @Manyc. You just saved yourself potentially hundreds of dollars.