New Kds Heli - Chase 350 - Pics And Info

Discussion in 'KDS Model' started by Glen, Apr 30, 2014.

By Glen on Apr 30, 2014 at 3:01 PM
  1. Glen

Glen Active Member

Designed by Australian Engineer - Me :) After 2 yrs of having to keep it hush hush here she is.

01.jpg 02.jpg 05.jpg 07.jpg 08.jpg 10.jpg

Comments

Discussion in 'KDS Model' started by Glen, Apr 30, 2014.

1. Christo

Christo Active Member

Yeah mate my kit only has one flange on the bottom pinion..but I have set everything level and seems fine just spinning motor by hand, not sure how it will go under power..? The other issue I had was that the motor mounting countersunk screws wouldn't sit flush thus not allowing the motor pinion to sit where it needed for that belt to run in the center, so I had to machine the countersunk grooves deeper now the screws sit just under plus face the motor pinion slightly so it could sit higher . Now I have a perfectly aligned belt ,dead center..

• Informative Informative x 1
      • List
    2. jockstrap

jockstrap Active Member

Damn - I had the same issue :( My belt rides the lower edge of the front pully and not
      possible to get the pinion any closer other than do what you have done...

3. helladies

helladies Active Member

@jockstrap - So i'd need a 1.1-"1.2"mm thick with a 10mm inner diameter washer with the total diameter of 13-14mm, right?

you put "1.1-.12mm thick", but im assuming the ".12" was a typo and you meant 1.2.
      its pretty obvious, but im not 100% sure about measurements for these little bits:oops:

@Christo So would a dremel suffice for shaving a bit more into the countersunk area or would I need to be more precise?

I'm willing to do this especially if it gets me in the air faster.

Just not too comfy with adding another bit of a different metal to the pulley. Still feels a bit silly.

When the washer is "sandwiched" between the pulley and gear whats going to keep it in place and prevent it from shifting? Would I have to flange it myself somehow and make a lip flush around the pulleys diameter?

I wish they could have came with the flanged lip from the factory :(

Thanks!

Last edited: Sep 7, 2014
    4. Christo

Christo Active Member

Yeah @ helladies I personally wouldn't use a Dremel , But if you need to get in the air!!

5. Glen

Glen Active Member

The first prototype had the same motor pinion issue, the rest were ok. So im Suprised it went backwards again.
      I used a dremal on my first pinion. stuck it over an driver shaft and it spins while you grind.
      Looks like i might have to do it again on my new kit :mad:
      [​IMG]

6. helladies

helladies Active Member

@Christo - yea im just gonna wait till it gets addressed from KDS-- I dont trust myself going too deep or not perfectly flush with a freakin dremel.

@Glen - Wait. So what did you have to grind down?
      I was talking about the stage 2 motor pinion's missing flanged lip!

Bummer!
      :confused:

7. jockstrap

jockstrap Active Member

@helladies - woops - yea typo - 1.1-1.2 mm thick (around there, you may have to play)

I just made one tonight that thick with a 10mm center and seems to fit the gap well.

Nothing will be better than a new proper gear - but as stated - this might get me in the air..

I have a feeling new gears may be weeks away :(

Glen also gave me a tip to try - if your belt ends up riding upwards after being built, try turning the belt upside down, sometimes this makes it ride the other way..

8. Glen

Glen Active Member

Apparently that trick didn't fix the problem.

A 6mm ID should work better? Looks to be around 1mm gap for it?

9. Christo

Christo Active Member

Yep that sounds about right @Glen, I'll have to remove mine to get an accurate measurement but from memory there was a small step on the pinion which is around 6 mm.
      That's what I would be locating on.

10. simon

simon Well-Known Member

So, @jockstrap and others in the know. I have one of these kits, and yes, my pulley is also missing the lip. Should I build it now and replace the lip when it comes, or wait until a new pulley can sourced (ie is it a Pain in the A to change the pulley when it's built?)
      Thanks Mate, Appreciate your wisdom
      Simon
      BTW I have looked through the box and everything is top notch (pulley exempted), I will say however KDS seemed to take it to market too quickly, The manual is not finished, more than half the part number / descriptions are not there, if they had of done a bit more QA/QC there would not be two pages of ideas on how to fix the pulley. There is not even a link on a piece of paper on where the manual can be found, you have to trawl the web. Come on KDS for this dollar, you really need to be on the ball a bit more. The heli however looks like it will truly deliver the goods, a beautiful bit of kit

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • List
    11. mr_squiggle

mr_squiggle Well-Known Member

Bang on the money Simon. I too was disappointed with the lack of manual or a link to it.

Citizen #186

12. simon

simon Well-Known Member

Synergy have a page with a download link and it's cool, it means the manual you download is the manual, no errata, perfect, along with a Thanks for buying synergy blah blah blah. It works really well and you feel as if due diligence was done
      Simon.

13. jockstrap

jockstrap Active Member

Simon - you can certainly have fun building the kit for now.. as for flying it - run it up and if your belt rides down you're good to go! if it rides up - first try turning the belt over..

As you'll find out - it's only 4 screws to remove the top motor mount then the front gears pop out - so literally takes you minutes to replace the new gear when it arrives anyway.
      Turning the belt over is a little trickier - he he he.. but not a major issue.. maybe 15min.

Re the manual - to make it worse - the download link we found was on another forum - not even on the KDS website.. lol

14. simon

simon Well-Known Member

I would suggest that KDS 'leaked' the manual, so they are not 'responsible' for it not being finished, that way people can build their helis and KDS have no responsibility for the unfinished manual (that's what I would have done), just a thought.
      Again, bought to market too soon IMHO
      Simon

15. helladies

helladies Active Member

Guess thats what we get for getting the first batch. I'm sure KDS will take care of us in the end

16. mr_squiggle

mr_squiggle Well-Known Member

I think they had the best of intentions & got caught out. I've emailed Hunter at Acme & got quick replies.
      The manual will be out shortly, Glen is finishing it.
      The second stage gear (the one missing the top flange) has been redesigned & has been remanufactured. Hunter reckons he'll have them in the next few days & those with the pre-existing kits will have the new part shortly after.
      Looks like things will be closed out shortly.

Citizen #186

• Like Like x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
      • List
    17. jockstrap

jockstrap Active Member

Yea!

Exactally the way it should be handled... Doing it this way can even make mistakes look good for a manufaturer..

Everyone understands the first run may have issues - but it's how you handle those issues that makes or breaks your rep..

Handle it well and it will end up building your rep not breaking it... good to see KDS :D

18. simon

simon Well-Known Member

+1 for KDS and Hunter Wang
      Simon

19. helladies

helladies Active Member

Allen from KDSUSA told me everyone has been flying with the belt pinion like that...

They're awesome.

Allen called ME Monday first thing in the morning when they were about to ship my kit notifying me of the absence of main blades as described in the combo kit.

He mentioned the tail blades that they were coming with had reports of breaking in flight so they pulled them out and included some that will work better free of charge. Theyre a bit shorter, but fly fine with a higher gain.

He refunded me the amount for the main blades to use towards purchasing others from another source--ebay-- ($25 USD) and promised to send the main blades that were supposed to be in the kit when they arrive on the 18th.

He also said if the part for the belt pinion comes in he'll send that too.

Just amazing customer service. Very impressed.

i'm also happy about getting a free extra set of main blades!! :D

20. simon

simon Well-Known Member

We get no mains or tails