Quest For 450... It's Here! :-)

Discussion in 'HobbyKing' started by Beaver, Sep 26, 2015.

By Beaver on Sep 26, 2015 at 9:03 AM
  1. Beaver

Beaver Well-Known Member

Okay. Does anyone here have any experience with the Assault 450/ Orange T6 combo currently offered by HK? I'm assuming no since there are no posts in this area. (Disclaimer: I don't have $1000 or $2000 laying around to be able to buy a "high-end" name-brand heli, so don't start in on me about clones. I know what's at stake. I don't intend to try to fly 3d with it right off, and certainly not until some upgrades to Align parts are done.)

Last edited: Sep 26, 2015

Comments

Discussion in 'HobbyKing' started by Beaver, Sep 26, 2015.

1. Beaver

Beaver Well-Known Member

EHirobo is the site I've been looking at. The Black Angel, and the CX 450 models AE, SE, and Pro. All have flybarless and DFC versions. The odd thing is that most of their "kits" and "combos" say 95% assembled except for the few that specifically say "disassembled". It's a bit confusing trying to decide exactly what I want. It's probably going to be one of the cheaper models, as long as its one that doesn't have a fly bar, comes unassembled, and is belt drive.

2. Manyc

Manyc Well-Known Member

Even if it does come assembled I always pull it apart anyway you never know if they built it correctly...

3. Beaver

Beaver Well-Known Member

Right, I was thinking the same. I have trust issues like that as well.

4. smakmeharder

smakmeharder Administrator

From memory the head and tail was built (but that is simple to disassemble) and you had to build the rest. Thats assuming the 100 dollar kit in the link above. I think @Manyc had a black angel once.

5. Beaver

Beaver Well-Known Member

It really doesn't matter... I had planned on disecting a Gartt for inspection anyway, nothing will change there except for brand and model. Damned if I'm going to have a head or tail blow apart mid flight because of someone on the other side of the world. :p

Last edited: Nov 18, 2015
    6. Manyc

Manyc Well-Known Member

I Ordered one.. Had it arrive.. But then listened to you and Jason and ditched it for a mini protos.. Sold it to a mate bnib...

So never actually built/saw/flew one...

7. Beaver

Beaver Well-Known Member

Okay. So I went by the larger LHS here, looking for a part for my Nano, which they did not have of course....
      While I was there, I noticed they had two Align 450s hanging up front by the big nitro-burners. That's actually the first time I've had a really good look at a 450 and how big they actually are. Those two Aligns were fully loaded and looked to be out of my price range. Just for curiosity's sake, I asked about 450 kits and the owner said he quit keeping Align 450 models and parts because there are too many different versions and that it would cost too much for him to keep so many different parts for all the different versions.
      Even the Blade parts are limited to a few small models and maybe some 450 parts, and a few parts for discontinued models.
      It seems I won't find much support there as they really seem more interested in catering g to the R/C car market. While I was there, there were 3 different employees repairing 3 different cars for customers.
      Moreover, as I prepare to move up to a larger heli, its obvious I will have to get everything I want through internet sales.
      So much for supporting the local shops. o_O

8. smakmeharder

Sad but at the moment it seems to be the case. Usually supply quality depends on the vendor at the other end. And often delivery times of most vendors are 1-2 weeks max. Once you get the model that suits you can stock on the faulty parts.

9. Beaver

Beaver Well-Known Member

I've started ordering parts for whatever kit I decide to get. I have a full set of DS/MG servos on the way. Next will be Kbar. I figure this should work out better than going with the unknowns of some of the components supplied in the "combo" packages. I don't want to end up with plastic geared servos or a weird FBL.

10. iggy

iggy Well-Known Member

So it has to arrive till tomorrow?

11. Beaver

Beaver Well-Known Member

Yes. The shipping deadline on the Gartt Combo is tomorrow. Then on Nov. 25 I can call EBay and file "item not received" and get refund...... which I will apply toward an FBL for the CopterX kit I plan to order.

12. smakmeharder

Great! hopefully it will all be happening before christmas. I would not be supprised that your heli turns up next month...

13. Beaver

Beaver Well-Known Member

Stranger things have happened, but I'm not holding my breath since another buyer has already complained about not receiving his kit as well. If it shows up..... spare parts. :cool:

Last edited: Nov 24, 2015
    14. Beaver

Beaver Well-Known Member

Revisiting this, I ordered a full set of servos. 3 TGY 90S for cyclic and A Corona DS319MG for tail. They may be lower line servos, but I wasn't settling for anything less than digital/metal gear servos. The speed/torque specs are good enough for now. I think the Tgy90s were 0.11s and the Corona is 0.08s. They should last awhile since I don't fly hard...... yet.
      I'm going with the KBar FBL and a bluetooth adapter for now, especially since I've already downloaded and installed the Vstab PC and Android setup software on my devices. (from expecting a KBar to arrive with a Gartt combo :rolleyes:)
      I feel safer being able to hand pick the components, even though they are low-end, at least I will know what I'm getting instead of being at the mercy of what's supplied in a combo.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2015
    15. smakmeharder

Good choice @Beaver. You do indulge in the technicalities of things so you should be ok setting up the kbar. Some people reported setup issues but once set up it should fly fine.

And the copterX (black angel?) is an incredible heli for the price.

16. ciscogav

ciscogav New Member

Just to add , I,v have a copter x Black Angle which I bought 4 years ago , It was a fly bar then, changed to fbl and then dfc then went back to fbl, all I,v replaced are the main shaft bearings, tail and one way, the rotor head needs pulling apart and checking the thrust bearing for the correct set up as mine were back to front. All were replaced with bocca bearings. Regards Gavin.

17. Beaver

Beaver Well-Known Member

Now isn't that an interesting coincidence. I was just on the CopterX site debating on whether or not to go DFC.
      So what was the reason you went back from DFC to FBL head? Seems to me the FBL head might be more durable in the long run.

18. Johnnybgoode

Johnnybgoode Active Member

The copter x looks to be a unique helicopter. Not really a clone but really cheap.

19. Beaver

Beaver Well-Known Member

Seems as though there may be some common parts such as head assembly and other 450 sized "Align compatible" parts, mostly because such things are made in standardized sizes. Others here seem to agree that it's not so much of a clone.

20. ciscogav

ciscogav New Member

Yes It is more durable stable, the dfc head was to rigid ,kept tipping over and destroying blades, 6s and fbl the way to go. Regards Gavin,