Question? Reflection On 2015 - What Did You Learn?

Discussion in 'The Chat Room' started by smakmeharder, Jan 5, 2016.

By smakmeharder on Jan 5, 2016 at 11:59 AM
  1. smakmeharder

smakmeharder Administrator

Ok so what did 2015 bring for your heli flying?

For me this year was a bit slow development wise. Probably most notable achievement was reversing many of my tricks in the opposite direction (ie piros right tail and left tail). I discovered the power of the 380 goblin and it took the place of my much loved mini protos.

I saw @Manyc progress at an incredible rate to nail down many tricks - not only nail them down but perform them with precision as well. He became sponsored by arkrc.

I saw @3dmick really push and develop his flying skills as well. He is so good as an ambassador for zenrc - always pushing products and showing what the latest tech can do

I saw @ArkRC (Josh Hilda) progress his flying to a great level as well.

I saw @iggy develop some incredible skills - all by himself without any help from a club! Truly inspirational.

@Geena became sponsored by Guai and attended quit a few heli events. I always think that one day she will be a world champion.

@Beaver experienced the difference of a larger collective pitch heli and also learnt that there is no such thing as a deal to good to be true... and is really doing incredibly well from watching his videos. This year will be a big year for @Beaver..

@ChopsyWA is definitely the heli paparazzi! He was all over ground breaking news as soon as it was announced and knew that Dunkan was flying for SoxoS before even Dunkan realized. He added terrific value to the forum as a whole.

@MickyD became associated with heligods and mrchc and blessed us all with some magic 3d flying. He also showed what a chronos could do...

@Mickstef also progressed incredibly well and discovered the @chronos

@Crash Heligod targeted many individuals as he does every year. Most notably @The Dude, @Matty, and many others.

@bjay415 started to progress with some incredible over speeds - always great to watch.

@The Dude and I put in some huge efforts re heli fun flys. @The Dude also progressed in serious low down flying skills.

@josh flying skills just continue to develop and amaze....

And some of our more popular contributors @simon - always informative, @feral, and many others .

So let us know and next year we can look back....

• Like Like x 3
    • Thanks Thanks x 3
    • Crash Immunity Crash Immunity x 1
    • List

Comments

Discussion in 'The Chat Room' started by smakmeharder, Jan 5, 2016.

• Tags:
    1. Beaver

Beaver Well-Known Member

Don't forget @smakmeharder, pushing the limits of G380 reliability with your 300+ flights on one belt! That was impressive.

2. 3dmick

3dmick Well-Known Member

What a great year and a big thanks to @smakmeharder & @The Dude
      For running Heli gods it just gels so well with MRCHC I think we have the best club
      Every gets along so well and the flying just keeps on getting better with every week
      And a big thanks to Sean and the @ZEN RC team

Last edited: Jan 12, 2016
    3. MickyD

MickyD Well-Known Member

Best thing I did was to join mrchc.

The guys are just awesome, they take the hobby to another level!

The flying there is unreal, the best I have seen in any club, they breed them for 3d! It's inspiring. Love it.

4. 3dmick

3dmick Well-Known Member

We love U 2 bro lol
      You always keep everyone entertained with your massive bag of tricks :)

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • List
    5. Stuart

Stuart Active Member

Enjoyed hanging at Thursday nights in daylight saving with the heli guys at LDMFA and also really enjoyed the flying, fun, encouragement and friendship from the heli gurus at MRCHC.
      Happy to say that last year I saw improvement in my flying also, as I am now progressing and consolidating some inverted manoeuvres. Thanks guys. All round a great year.

Stuart
      Citizen #507

6. ChopsyWA

ChopsyWA Well-Known Member

My only real improvement in this hobby came in 2015.
      From my first ever heli flight in April 2014, when I started this hobby, up until May 2015 I never flew with anyone else - which restricted learning to filtering through BS on the forums and flying alone on the hot salt flats in the Pilbara. Wasn't a big simmer...
      Neadless to say heli-flying was getting boring, as I was limited to basic flying which included loops, elevator tic-tocs and general rubbish attempts at what I'd seen pro's do on youtube vids.
      Then in June 2015 I had my first day of flying with another heli pilot, a skilled pilot I contacted on the other Aussie forum due to seeing his location was only two hours away.
      Just from that day of heli-banter, and a few suggestions from him I started to "work" on my flying - actually make an effort with practice instead of just buying heli sh1t all the time.

This little push, and yearning to be able to fly like the flying I had just witnessed got me finally learning orientations, and believe it or not actually attempting basic circuits (up until June I had only flown straight lines, no sweeping turns :eek: )...
      In the last few months I have started to feel more one with the sticks, actually getting some confidence that I know how my thumbs are going to move the heli about. And now currently working on piro-flips which I never thought my brain would be able to attempt - at times I manage to pull off a few continuous piro flips.
      I now take off with my 600's out the front of my unit, having to take-off and fly out between trees spaced 3m apart to get out to the open area - and doing this regularly in +30km/hr winds, no doubt easy for most pilots but for me I feel happy in the confidence gained by feeling ok to risk my helis in confined spaces.

So what I have learn't is that flying with others, even if its only every 3 months, really helps keeping focused on the flying. Mid-2015 was a point at which I could have moved away from the hobby, but focusing on developing skills instead of buying sh1t kept me in it, and now the better flying is making it fun and rewarding ;)

Though my cc balance sheet would show 2016 is off to a bloody buying-sh1t start.... again.... :p

7. simon

simon Well-Known Member

You coming to heli heatwave @ChopsyWA ? You would benefit immensely from that trip - I know I will
      Simon

8. smakmeharder

@ChopsyWA you better be careful if you do! Dunkan will be after you for blowing his cover! Infact i hope you do @ChopsyWA! You can find out some inside information. We can then sack the informer and let you take his place!

• Like Like x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
      • List
    9. ChopsyWA

ChopsyWA Well-Known Member

Still looking into it, flights/accommodation etc, would be a pretty expensive trip. Plus for a heli trip I would want to be bringing a heli and go flying on the days leading up to the event with a few of you guys - if any of you are available to fly on week-days - also would need to ship batteries over and chuck my favorite heli in me heli-case.

Well Dunkan could try, but I can speak french (F'sand C's) and he looks scrawny enough to take down.... ;):rolleyes::D

Can't say I'd be as prolific as the informer on the forum, which might be a good thing considering some of the non-sense that he's been posting lately :p.......... LOL :)

10. The Informer

The Informer Administrator

Awww cmon guys give me a break! Its a hard life working for the heligods. Not only do i have to go out and find the latest news i have to make sure the heligod father has his holy nitro delivered fresh each morning then wake up crash heligod by knocking on his coffin and running before he gets a chance to abuse and bash me and fix the 3d heligods helicopters before the he wakes up (about 2pm). Yes its not an easy job but no body else will employ an old retired muppet...

• Like Like x 3
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
      • List
    11. gonehelimad

gonehelimad Active Member

Well I started flying in Jan 2015 so 2015 overall has brought me the most enjoyable hobby I have undertaken to date !

In general have been learning how to hover/ fly and a few other addons (point list below)
      - Got my bronze wings this year,
      - started advanced f3c schedule manoeuvre practicing
      - general flying including forward flight / flips (elev / aileron) /
      - nose up and nose down tik toks
      - inverted flight
      - backwards flight
      - stall turns / speed runs
      - half piro flips / pirouette hovering up and inverted.
      - started piro flip practising in the field
      - upright funnels and just started doing inverted funnels
      - and just before the new year just started shooting autorotations.

So much fun, so much to learn !!!!

• Like Like x 4
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • List
    12. smakmeharder

Watching you on the weekend @gonehelimad , really impressive. I like heaps what i see! your piro control is very advanced for your level. Everything is looking pretty good! Keep going...

13. Ozzy Mozzy

Ozzy Mozzy Well-Known Member

I learnt that joining a club was the best thing I could have done!

The members at Australian Freestyle Flyers have been fantastic. There is no way I would be where I am without their experience and willingness to help a complete newbie..... All I was doing is hovering tail in, now I’m actually flying!

I came from 1/5th scale off-road cars and big rc boats (still got them)...... all very enjoyable but nothing like the satisfaction you get flying an rc Helicopter..... I am totally hooked and absolutely loving it!!

Trying out this side of the hobby has been the best thing I have done.....

Steve

14. smakmeharder

Freestylers are a great bunch of guys! They are helpful, push the edge, fun to be around and a real asset to the rc heli community. I cant say enough good things about freestylers and all the members. You are in good hands @Ozzy Mozzy ..

15. MickyD

MickyD Well-Known Member

Need to make a visit to FF.

16. gonehelimad

gonehelimad Active Member

17. Manyc

Manyc Well-Known Member

I'll be heading down the week after Sand down... let me know if you want to go, and I can meet you there and sign you in... as can every Mick except MickyD... haah