Question? Servo Dither

Discussion in 'The Chat Room' started by iggy, Feb 10, 2016.

By iggy on Feb 10, 2016 at 3:44 AM
  1. iggy

iggy Well-Known Member

Hi there

I realized some servo dithering on my left ailron servo, its an Align BL815H HV. I can not notice something bad about the flight behavior but I can feel it sometimes when I bring the heli to the start point or back. The dithering is short, 0.5 sec i think, it appears here and there.. Just sometimes. I think the servo moves 5mm up and down, maybe even less.

What can I do? Do I have to clean the servo electonics inside from gear dust? Any experiences? Can this be dangerous??

Kind regards,

Last edited: Feb 10, 2016

Comments

Discussion in 'The Chat Room' started by iggy, Feb 10, 2016.

1. Beaver

Beaver Well-Known Member

If the servos have some hours on them, the potentiometer is probably getting a bit dirty. I'd say give it a good cleaning, check to make sure there is no slack in the gears and go from there. Otherwise, replace it (them).
      Here's an interesting read: http://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=671470

Last edited: Feb 10, 2016
    2. iggy

iggy Well-Known Member

Thanks @Beaver

I would also say its a dirty poti. The helifreak thread is a bit older. I have been trough this last year as I had problems with my Align tail servos.

My cyclics work great so far. Only this dithering appeared some flights ago. So I will pick the servo appart today to see if its dirty inside.

3. iggy

iggy Well-Known Member

The potentiometer is a closed plastic unit. What should I clean here? Gears are running smooth. The connections on the servoelectronics look fine. There is no dust in there...

4. iggy

iggy Well-Known Member

Problem solved. But I dont know how. I picked the servo apart had a look at everything, cleaned the gears just a bit, screwed it together again the poti mounted how it was and the dithering is gone now..

Back on the heli the swash is straight as I know where my servohorn was. I tested for around ten minutes even with my hand ond the head to sinulate some force. Works great even when i carry the heli around. Nothing.

What could have caused the problem?

5. Beaver

Beaver Well-Known Member

That's a good question!

6. Beaver

Beaver Well-Known Member

Maybe a speck of debris caught in a gear? Who knows. I'd keep a close eye on it at first. Last thing you want is a servo malfunction, as I understand that can be inherently dangerous.

7. smakmeharder

smakmeharder Administrator

Its possible that a plug connection be a touch dirty. Even sometimes reseating the potentiometer can help. But what i would carefully inspect the servo plugs if i were you. Sometimes the female receptor slips back into the housing and does not connect as well as it should. So i would really inspect the lugs to make sure they are seated right. Perhaps put some metho or contact cleaner on the female socket and wipe the male pins as well. Any form of resistance along the control or power wires to the servos can cause this sort of problem as well. I have had this happen many times on my servos and allways found the plugs to be the culprits...

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
      • List
    8. Beaver

Beaver Well-Known Member

9. iggy

iggy Well-Known Member

Thank you @smakmeharder. I will check this today before going to the field for sure. Sounds logical.

@Beaver keep that guy with you its allright! LOL :D

10. iggy

iggy Well-Known Member

Did four test flights this afternoon after checking the servo connectors too. Everything fine. It seems like the dithering really affected the flight behavior. The 570 feels better now. Im happy.

11. Beaver

Beaver Well-Known Member

Glad to hear it! :D

• Crash Immunity Crash Immunity x 1
      • List