Question? Servo Slop

Discussion in 'The Chat Room' started by smakmeharder, Nov 22, 2015.

By smakmeharder on Nov 22, 2015 at 7:03 PM
  1. smakmeharder

smakmeharder Administrator

How much servo slop is too much slop? My servos wear out over time and develop slop - like 1/2 a mm. So how much slop do you fly with? I find I can notice slop (belive it or not! - I truly can!)

Comments

Discussion in 'The Chat Room' started by smakmeharder, Nov 22, 2015.

• Tags:
    1. MickyD

MickyD Well-Known Member

Untill you find it too hard to cut the grass, 1inch off the dirt.

2. Manyc

Manyc Well-Known Member

I think you are on the cusp of too much.. and it all depends on flying style.. if you like smooth slow.. you will notice it a lot more than with hard smack.. but that said if you are doing very fast transitions and low to the ground you may find it becoming sloppy and slow...

it is personal.. if your flying and you can "feel it" then change it.. if you can't.. then don't. Otherwise you will not enjoy the flying..

3. Beaver

Beaver Well-Known Member

Are you referring to your G380? Is it the servos themselves or the splines in the servo horns?

4. smakmeharder

Its definitely the servos themselves. So I figure the gears could need replacing perhaps. I do feel even the slightest slop unfortunately while doing hard smak. I notice in fast piroflips and when a transition of a hard stop. I still enjoy the flying @Manyc but its like walking with a pebble in your shoe. You know you can still enjoy the scenery but something just isnt right.

5. Beaver

Beaver Well-Known Member

I was hoping for your sake it was something simple. Those are BK servos, right?

6. smakmeharder

Yes... but it happened with all my mks servos as well which are made from titanium. The bks are really strong for their size....

7. MickyD

MickyD Well-Known Member

I was actually serious with my comment ;) I could not hover my warp 360 cutting the grass redneck flying, it just yoyo'd . Mks micros are overrated for me. They went sloppy quick.
      Just replace the great dude, 600 flights, well over die :)

8. Beaver

Beaver Well-Known Member

At least servo gears are fairly easy to replace. 300 or 400 hard flights and you haven't replaced but a belt and some tail shaft bearings, and now maybe servo gears? That's still exceptional.

9. simon

simon Well-Known Member

That's a contraceptive, it makes you limp....sorry
      Simon

• Funny Funny x 2
      • Like Like x 1
      • List
    10. iggy

iggy Well-Known Member

After 300 flights on my Align 500 there was even more then 1/2 mm. And I could notice it in sport flying.. For me its an issue. Its not tight anymore. The replacement takes some time and is annoying. Titanium means nothing. It can not break but can be bent for sure. Ceramic servo gears for 1000$ each would be the best solution. ;)

11. Beaver

Beaver Well-Known Member

Of course, things are going to wear, especially under hard use. To spend $1000 on gears though? Wouldn't it be easier to buy new servos periodically?

12. iggy

iggy Well-Known Member

It was kind of joke. Ceramic is very strong. If somebody can afford that.. It would be a solution "for ever". No crash could damage the gears..

13. Beaver

Beaver Well-Known Member

Oh yes my friend, what a beautiful thought....... but nothing is forever. Make one part bulletproof, and something around it will eventually fail or wear.
      I think it best to just replace entire servo if used hard and pushed to its service limits, rather than replace gears and then have a motor or potentiometer or something fail afterwards..... especially as in @smakmeharder's case where the heli is being flown hard and has a higher value...... then there's the safety aspect.....