Some Flights Of The Anzac Day Heli Gods Fun Fly

Discussion in 'Heligods General Video's Section' started by Jeff_Bradley, Apr 25, 2014.

By Jeff_Bradley on Apr 25, 2014 at 4:43 PM
  1. Jeff_Bradley

Jeff_Bradley Well-Known Member

Comments

Discussion in 'Heligods General Video's Section' started by Jeff_Bradley, Apr 25, 2014.

1. Jeff_Bradley

What does that mean?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. HeliGods

HeliGods Mark - Administrator Staff Member

works now..

3. simon

simon Well-Known Member

4. Jeff_Bradley

It was absolutely marvellous, great weather and even better bunch of blokes to fly with.
      Thanks all

5. 5Fidy

5Fidy RIP Jason

Yes you couldn't have asked for a nicer day the weather and sky
      We're perfect. It was excellent to finally meet you simon just makes
      this heligods forum even better. Got some nice pics of Jeff B tearing the sky a new
      ASS.
      IMAG0117.jpg IMAG0116.jpg IMAG0118.jpg IMAG0122.jpg

6. simon

simon Well-Known Member

I know, stills do not do that man justice
      (you are a dab hand yourself!)
      Simon

7. 5Fidy

5Fidy RIP Jason

Glad you liked the quad with FPV no one understands until they come
      for a ride in the passengers seat. So many people are totally blown away
      when they see it themself it's a buzz and a half I still get a wicked rush
      fanging that sucked around....Words can't describe it you have to experience
      it first hand...

8. Andrew R

Andrew R Active Member

Looks like you guys had a good day....I ll get to the next one

9. Andrew R

Andrew R Active Member

Jeff.....thanks for the Synergy bits Simon brought back.

10. Jeff_Bradley

No worries mate, anytime

11. simon

simon Well-Known Member

The ANZAC day HeliGods Fly-in

The Managers version (An overview)
      On ANZAC Day, a few members that had exchanged banter on the HeliGods site decided to go flying. A great day was had by all. I suppose the take home message of this is, because RC heli pilots are fairly insular by nature, sites like this allows you to get to know pilots, organize a fly and have a great time. This I believe is one of the key aspects of a site like this. And This Happened on ANZAC Day. Full Kudos to everyone who puts in the effort to make this site work, and it does.

The Nitty Gritty (A rambling diatribe of my experience of the day)
      It started off with the usual "we should catch up and go for a fly" a week or so back. I had arranged with @Jeff B to catch up at Pakenham, so I mentioned this to @5Fidy and it was on. He was organizing a crew, and a few non-believers were going to show as well.
      As Pakenham is a 2.2 hour drive, my day started early, out of bed at 5:30am, excited like a kid a Christmas, I got to packing the car. This is a task that I have to do carefully as my brain is about as functional as bowl of luke warm porridge at this time of day. At about 6:00am, as a the glow of the sunrise illuminated the sky to the east, a lone trumpet was playing the last reveille, I stopped, silent for a few moments, paying homage to the diggers, then carried on with frenzied packing. This was the first 'unusual' occurrence of the day.
      Now, about an hour and ten up the highway, approaching Melbourne, the true nature of the day started to reveal itself, it was completely blue with not a breath of wind. As I approached the Westgate bridge, I could see 6 balloons over Melbourne, giving passengers their champagne breakfasts and stunning views. I balanced the iPhone on the top of the steering wheel and tried to get some snaps. They were shiz, my windscreen was dirty, and it pretty tricky to frame a photo while weaving in and out of Melbourne long weekend traffic, and stopping was not an option. Here's the best of a bad lot anyway. The dark blobs in the sky are balloons, not UFOs.
      2014-04-25 07.33.01.jpg

So, we had previously arranged to meet at the flying site at 10:00am. So first stop was @Jeff B 's place, we decided to go a bit early, be there by 9:30am and put a few tanks through. So, after a couple of ever increasing strengths of real coffee, it was the standard check, testicles, specticals and helis, then off to the field (about 10 minutes from @Jeff B 's house). Now, nearly there and my phone set to vibrate (in my front pocket;)) goes off. It's @5Fidy wondering if he was at the right place, I subsequently told him we would be there in five minutes. I wish my brain was faster at that time of the day and I would have told him we were there and were smashing the tanks through, asking him if he could hear us. Not quite sharp enough.
      Anyway, we get to the site and 9:30ish and see 4 cars, that's one for each pilot (you could not fit a passenger in them, they were each full of helis and kit). So very car produced a table (except me) and probably at least 3 helis. Check the pics out.
      2014-04-25 09.47.04.jpg
      2014-04-25 09.46.47.jpg
      Now, something was in the air all of the time from then on. I personally burned a gallon of Holly water. All pilots flew exceptionally well. @3dmick put on a stunning display (I think he is fairly well known for this and ate the sky), @Jeff B was tea bagging the sky, probably about the same time Crash went in, maybe he was tea bagging Crash (we have found the anti-hero!). @5Fidy demonstrated why you should put 12s in a G 570 (now that thing has some snap), @Manyc and @bjay415 were also in some fine fine form. I too, put in some good tail in hovering.
      Now here is another unusual occurence for the day. @5Fidy, @Manyc and @bjay415 all had quads there. Now I have thought little about flying a quad, not much interest. @5Fidy offered me his passenger set of fatsharks, so I sat down on the grass and lived an out of body experience, similar to my dreams of flight, vicariously through the lens of the quad. What a blast. Those things are crazy fun. I am now more than a bit interested. My heli will be my main weapon-of-choice, but my stable is surely lacking without one of those baby's. It's very weird watching someone fly one, the pilot sits, un-moving in a comfy chair, head tilted down at an odd angle with a strange device on his head connecting his visual cortex to the eye of the quad, occasionally moving his fingers. Check out the pics of @Manyc about to take of and @bjay415 doing his 'thang'. It really reminds me of James Cameron's Avatar...just awesome. 2014-04-25 11.03.33.jpg
      and
      2014-04-25 11.03.44.jpg
      Now some more shots to round this off. The first being @5Fidy putting a 12S G570 through it's paces with @Manyc on spot.
      2014-04-25 10.12.37.jpg
      and Mad @3dmick on the sticks with @Jeff B on spot, discussing the intricacies of a full tail slide- to grass cut - to pitch pumped piro-flipping reversal climb-out (or something like that) . Those boys can fly.

On a closing note: If anyone out there is thinking of doing something like this, in the words of Yoda "don't think, do" . It's the BEST way to spend a day, making new friends and doing what we ALL like to do - fly heli's.
      (see next post, HG only allows 6 images, 7 would be nice)
      Thanks to @5Fidy, @3dmick, @Manyc, @bjay415 and @Jeff B. It was great. Now the Queens Birthday Weekend. mmmmmmmm........
      Simon

Last edited: Apr 26, 2014
    12. simon

simon Well-Known Member

And the Last Image - Thanks again HeliGods....You rock:cool:
      2014-04-25 10.12.02.jpg

13. Jeff_Bradley

Great story Simon, everyone shared the same experience of having fun with their models. Would do it again for sure.

14. simon

simon Well-Known Member

Thanks and Cheers
      Simon

15. HeliGods

HeliGods Mark - Administrator Staff Member

Thanks for the post simon.. good read..

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk

16. Andrew R

Andrew R Active Member

Great write up hooks (simon), wish I had of come along.... looks like you guys had a great day.

17. simon

simon Well-Known Member

Hooks
      One of the people (non-HG member) thinks that you are my imaginary brother, better turn up next time we go there.
      Hooks

18. 5Fidy

5Fidy RIP Jason

Hooks hay I like that "HOOKS"

19. 3dmick

3dmick Well-Known Member

Great write up simon we all had a great day good to meet some new Heli obsessed blokes like us
      Cheer's mate