Info The Best Tool Ever!

Discussion in 'The Chat Room' started by smakmeharder, Dec 20, 2014.

By smakmeharder on Dec 20, 2014 at 11:11 PM
  1. smakmeharder

smakmeharder Administrator

So often i solder EC5 plugs and find it very difficult to create excellent joints because positioning the wire and plug while soldering is just about impossible. Well my son brought me the best Christmas present which I had to use today due to necessity. It makes soldering big plugs and terminations an absolute breeze. I introduce to you - the THIRD HAND! (thats not its real name, i have just dubbed it that) . With the two alligator clips, you can position the wire and the plug in perfect position while using the magnifying glass to make sure your solder joint is perfecto. It works very well, no longer will i shudder when faced with the challenge of putting new plugs on batteries. It is really that good. Its not expensive either.... you can buy one here....
    http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=TH1983 . It really does make a huge difference...

productLarge2_10168.jpg

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List

Comments

Discussion in 'The Chat Room' started by smakmeharder, Dec 20, 2014.

1. Manyc

Manyc Well-Known Member

2. simon

simon Well-Known Member

Fantastic present, your son *really knows his old man - (he's probably thinking "that will help dad not to do shiz jobs on those EC5's") - but he should have made you wait until the the 25th - I would have
      Simon

3. HeliGods

HeliGods Mark - Administrator Staff Member

I just use a lump of wood with holes in it... Works fine

4. smakmeharder

You wait till you see this thing work..... it is awesome, makes the soldering so much easier

• List
    5. simon

simon Well-Known Member

I'll get one for sure, I use the "Jigs up". The EC5 holders dissipate too much heat making it useless. It's time for a change
      Simon
      , [​IMG]

6. Manyc

Manyc Well-Known Member

I was looking at that as well.. but apparently the progressive rc one does not absorb heat... always worked well.. tho the part that holds the arm's on have broken off

• List
    7. smakmeharder

I was concerned about the heat build up as well but the alligator clips don't absorb that much heat on the good old "third hand" I do have a powerful iron though @simon so perhaps that helps. Might I add that having a :"third hand" could be very helpful in many other situations. And @Manyc, how come you did not disclose this precious gem to the others in the heli-brethren. I think the "third hand" could be a life changing device!

8. 3dmick

3dmick Well-Known Member

hahaha I just use a block of wood with some holes drilled in it works will :)

9. Freeko

Freeko Member

I use a helping hand similar to what the OP posted and a butane torch. It really makes short work of battery connections and motor bullets :) You just have to be careful not to use too much heat. Once you get a feel for it it's super fast and you end up with perfect solder joints. ;)

10. Manyc

Manyc Well-Known Member

It's a standard tool in electronic soldering.. I had one before I was into helis

11. Freeko

Freeko Member

Yup. Use them all the time at work, too.

12. simon

simon Well-Known Member

I'll get one, I use an 80w iron (heaps, overkill probably), but the holders suck too much heat way from the plug resulting in a shiz job. I have seen what you got before and thought they would be good, I'll be buying one now next time in town
      Simon