Build Thread The Copter X Files

Discussion in 'Other Brands' started by Beaver, Dec 20, 2015.

By Beaver on Dec 20, 2015 at 6:27 AM
  1. Beaver

Beaver Well-Known Member

Comments

Discussion in 'Other Brands' started by Beaver, Dec 20, 2015.

1. Beaver

Beaver Well-Known Member

Yikes! Now I know what happens when a tail belt gets too loose! :eek:
      (no crash)

2. Beaver

Beaver Well-Known Member

So after 9 months of wear and tear, thanks to @Crash Heligod, I finally had to replace the head on the CX450SE. I was having balance problems, though nothing was obviously damaged, and as it turns out, the aluminum main rotor hub was slightly bent somehow, most likely from one of those good crashings from a few months ago. I found a package deal on RCG of two sets of blades, two good motors, and a like-new FBL head for cheap..... equivalent to what I would have paid for a brand new head assembly. :D
      WP_20160812_001.jpg
      By the way, that's a standard FBL head on a shorter Align DFC shaft.

3. Crash Heligod

Crash Heligod Moderator Staff Member

Ahhhh very nice @Beaver. Glad to see you are keeping things maintained! This helicopter has done quite a few flights now, dont you think its time to put it out to pasture? I can help with that if you like....

4. Beaver

Beaver Well-Known Member

No. :p

5. Beaver

Beaver Well-Known Member

You know...... you might be right. I think it is about time to retire the CX450, but not to your graveyard. Maybe I'll eventually put it up for sale on the other forum to someone who can use it. I've been busy toying with the Blade 450-3D lately anyway.
      Besides all that, I just put a down-payment toward a stretched MSH MINI-PROTOS.... complete airframe with all alloy pulleys and idlers, SAB main blades, and a few other upgraded parts... minus electronics for $150. 20160806_181311.jpg
      Send out the Clone........ :D:D:D

Last edited: Aug 14, 2016
    6. smakmeharder

smakmeharder Administrator

Good on you @Beaver! you wont know yourself with this little beastie. it is a truly great helicopter - you will love the way it flies.

7. Beaver

Beaver Well-Known Member

I'll like that nice quiet belt drive system too! I hate gear noise. :D

8. Beaver

Beaver Well-Known Member

..... and on that note....
      So it seems I'm going to have to get one of those MSH/Scorpion 2221-12 2580Kv motors for the Mini P when it arrives. These 3500Kv motors are too fast for the 13t or 14t:120t ratio of the protos.
      I'll be watching EBay more closely than I am already. :D

Last edited: Aug 17, 2016
    9. Beaver

Beaver Well-Known Member

All this research on motors brought me to the realization that this Turnigy H2223 3500Kv motor I've been using for the last 9 months is built very similarly to a Scorpion 2221 series motor. They are almost dimensionally identical and carry similar specs aside from Kv. It's actually rated 600W. It's too bad Turnigy doesn't offer a 2580Kv motor in this H2223 series motor.... for nearly 1/3 the price of a Scorpion.

10. smakmeharder

I have a 6s Motor for the miniprotos. Believe me you want to run 6s for economy reasons and get the stretch kit after the first crash. Cost is negligable... and the blades? for econmy you can pick up aligns....very cheap at 19 dollars each

11. Beaver

Beaver Well-Known Member

I may have to go 6S anyway..... the Mini P I'm buying is already stretched.... Tail and blades!
      I'll have to buy a new charger and 6S packs, along with a 6S motor.... maybe even a new esc if my Align RCE-BL45X isn't enough. Higher grade servos go without saying.... I'll have to go with KST DS215MG servos at the very least. No cheap Turnigy servos here! The Mini P may be on the bench for a bit till I get everything I need.

12. Beaver

Beaver Well-Known Member

It's been just over a year since I started this thread. The CX450-SE has been sitting on a shelf since the arrival of the Mini Protos. Though still airworthy, I will have to order new servos and a few other minor parts to get it back in the air. It's definitely been a learning experience and well worth the the time and money keeping it together..... as @Crash Heligod felt it necessary to shadow me over the first 6 months. :D

13. smakmeharder

Yes it has been a good experience for you @Beaver. You end up learining so much by progressing the way you did. And now you have a brand name heli and can feel the difference too. You would never really understand the difference if you went straight to a mini protos.

14. Beaver

Beaver Well-Known Member

If I had gone straight to the Mini P, I would have ended up beating the shiz out of it, and had a harder time getting parts. At least with the 450SE clone, there were some parts available at the LHS along with a few Blade parts mixed in through improvisation.
      I haven't had to order any parts for the Protos yet. :D

15. Crash Heligod

Crash Heligod Moderator Staff Member

You should have gone straight to a goblin 700.... Better entertainment value....

16. Beaver

Beaver Well-Known Member

S
      Shut the #ell up you boney ba$+ard. :p

• Like Like x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
      • List
    17. Beaver

Beaver Well-Known Member

I've ordered a set of servos for the CX450... they're cheap MG90S servos, but they will do fine for sport flying, and as a back-up heli. I'll probably go ahead and put the K-Bar back on it. The frame is still mostly complete minus the servos, ESC, FBL, and a new setup profile. Odds are good this version will last awhile given recent trends. :D

18. Beaver

Beaver Well-Known Member

Ooookaaaay........
      I ran the tracking numbers on the dreaded China Post e-packet shipping, and of course the numbers don't register....... as is common with e-packet shipments if you get a tracking number at all. At least I ordered before Chinese New Year. :D

19. The Dude

The Dude Well-Known Member

Shoot an email off to them, normally they will track it... China Post's tracking is really useless ( It will only show departure and arrival, Not transit) They may have given yout the wrong number ...

20. Beaver

Beaver Well-Known Member

I'm really not "that" worried about it, e-packet deliveries I've had in the past have showed up every time for the most part. It only makes me nervous not being able to track........ simply because I'm naturally suspicious that way.
      Nice to know you're still around, BTW, haven't seen you around here much lately. :D