Question? The Stiffer And Thicker The Better

Discussion in 'The Chat Room' started by smakmeharder, Feb 6, 2016.

By smakmeharder on Feb 6, 2016 at 3:13 PM
  1. smakmeharder

smakmeharder Administrator

I was noticing some weird feelings while flying my gobby 380 at the swamp. It just did not feel right, ie it was a bit lethargic on the pitch pumps. Don`t get me wrong, it was still great - but i noticed something was degrading over time. I was playing around with the swash and noticed that the servo horn was twisting when pressure was placed on the ball link. After X amount of flights the servo horn was actually getting softer!

So i found a set of SAB servo horns which were bigger, stiffer and harder!. I cant wait to try them out this afternoon. Too hot at the moment *35 degs. Has anyone else found the same issue? Here is a comparison of the stock bk servo horn compared to the sab servo horns which fit perfectly.

IMAG1238.jpg IMAG1239.jpg IMAG1237.jpg

Comments

Discussion in 'The Chat Room' started by smakmeharder, Feb 6, 2016.

1. maingeer

maingeer Active Member

are you using a nut to lock the ball on the servo horn?

2. simon

simon Well-Known Member

This is exactly what my partner has been saying for years! she must be clairvoyant or something
      Simon

• Like Like x 3
      • Funny Funny x 1
      • List
    3. smakmeharder

Yeah I was using a nut as well.. Just back from the flying field and yes a huge difference, Simon why didn't you tell me? Every one else said it didn't matter!

4. simon

simon Well-Known Member

Only pilots with thin limp (or short) servo arms say it doesn't matter - it's how you fly with them (which we all know is BS)
      Simon

5. simon

simon Well-Known Member

This thread is double entendre paradise, luckily I haven't been drinking (too much)
      Simon

6. smakmeharder

Well now I am a convert @simon - thank you for that...infact i would go further and say that the slightly longer (servo) horn is also better because it makes for a much more responsive reaction. Couple that with a thicker and stiffer geometry and you can really make her dance! Today was simply awesome and my heli felt sooooo good. cant wait for tomorrow! (btw my screen is now covered in coffee after reading your first reply)..

7. Geena

Geena Well-Known Member

what about pilots with no servos arms? o_O

8. Beaver

Beaver Well-Known Member

Long, short, thick, thin, firm, limp..... nuts....
      Good thing the subject of this conversation is servo horns. One grammatical error and this could all go horribly wrong. o_O

9. simon

simon Well-Known Member

The servo arm is obviously a metaphor for our something in our soul, I am sure @Geena, that one day you will feel the servo arm deep within you!
      Simon

• Funny Funny x 2
      • Like Like x 1
      • List
    10. Beaver

Beaver Well-Known Member

I don't need a longer (servo) horn. She (the 450) can't handle the stroke at full rate as it is. (AR pin maxed out in guide at full cyclic, etc) :D

• Like Like x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
      • List
    11. smakmeharder

Well that was me yesterday @Geena - i had no servo arms at all. And i must admit, I felt rather different. It wasn't until i took on Simmons advice and fitted the bigger servo arms did i realize what side of the fence i should sit! Dont get me wrong, no servo arms is fine - but for me, bigger servo arms are a better fit. And because i am only flying my 38o at the moment, I can only imagine what the guys with the 800 size servo arms must feel.

12. Geena

Geena Well-Known Member

I like the SAB servo horns. They seem to hold up well on pretty much any size helicopter. I used to use metal horns, but quickly learned that they are really bad for the servo gears in a crash. Some of my friends use the metal seacraft ones, that break away in a crash, But what`s to stop them from breaking away in flight on a 700?

13. Geena

Geena Well-Known Member

I was talking about the Align servo wheels. :D

• Informative Informative x 1
      • List
    14. simon

simon Well-Known Member

I knew that....(not really, I have a very few clues about anything really..Nice banter though..).
      Simon

15. smakmeharder

Another thing about metal servo horns - especially the aluminum ones - from what i have been told, some tend to bind onto the servo shafts after hard 3d. I think its because the metal is soft and due to the twisting and pressure, the servo teeth actually embed themselves into the servo horn. So the nylon/plastic type servo horn is preferable providing it is strong enough.

16. Beaver

Beaver Well-Known Member

Oddly enough, the servo horns that come with the cheap Turnigy servos are pretty rugged. They survived better than bent links and broken metal servo gears!

17. smakmeharder

Maybe thats a marketing ploy to ensure the servo gears are the sacrificial component! lol. You cant have it all i suppose and i am aware of the issues concerning stiff servo horns, namely broken gears.. but really i can feel a difference.

18. Beaver

Beaver Well-Known Member

It was a nasty crash..... Something had to give. I would have thought the ball end of the servo horn would have snapped first!

19. smakmeharder

This is something else EVERYONE should be aware of. @Matty crashed his forza 3 times in a row and the cause was related to a servo horn (see this article http://www.heligods.com/threads/crash-of-the-day.197/page-30#post-34207) Now after every crash even if your servos still appear to be ok CHECK THE TEETH IN THE SERVO HORN and make sure they are not worn or slip under pressure! This tiny defect cost @Matty approx $1500 over three crashes. And it only occurred at random. I still think crash heligod had something to do with it, it was so insidious...