Help Tightness Of Main Blades

Discussion in 'Align' started by hgnimda, Apr 20, 2014.

By hgnimda on Apr 20, 2014 at 12:55 AM
  1. hgnimda

hgnimda Ray - Administrator Staff Member

The question often perplexes me. If loose blades cause blade strikes is there any disadvantage to screwing down the blades really tight? I mean would it not make sense to really tighten all main blades before flight?

Comments

Discussion in 'Align' started by hgnimda, Apr 20, 2014.

1. Geena

Geena Well-Known Member

The disadvantage of tightening them down excessively tight, is that the blades then won`t be able to find their center when they spool up. Which will most likely result in vibrations due to the head being unbalanced. I always tightened mine just enough to get just a little resistance when folding or unfolding them, and no problems so far. :)

2. simon

simon Well-Known Member

I go for fairly tight, really tight if you are brave enough for a blade stop (apparently).
      Simon

3. ToddMoriarty

ToddMoriarty Well-Known Member

You actually can tighten blades to the point they crack. I run mine pretty tight. I can hold my Heli at the blade root and shake it without collapsing. As far as not finding center: There is a lot more centrifugal force exerted on blades than you think. Hundreds of kilos in a 700

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. 3dmick

3dmick Well-Known Member

I do mine up thight I have had my old 700e boom strike with old head that was befor the Dfc stuff
      so there is no way they can fold when doing auto bailouts or the wall or any
      Thing that unloads the head

5. Manyc

Manyc Well-Known Member

Yeah and you never do walls... If you haven't boom striked you 700 yet is a testament to doing then up tight

Citizen#024

6. 3dmick

3dmick Well-Known Member

Yeah I love the sound of the head over speeding the EsC love doing the wall a big 180amp spike blade fart hahahahaha

7. Radar

Radar Moderator Staff Member

Well I have gone through all different tightness with my blades. Used to run them very tight up until recently, like Geena said I have an E7 at 1850 would shake quite a bit. Loosen the blades and no more shake. I just run my blades firm now and have never had a problem.

8. HungryHungryHippos

HungryHungryHippos Well-Known Member

I wouldn't worry too much, someone will always tell you that you have your blades too loose, then 5 minutes later someone else will walk up too your helicopter and tell you have your blades too tight.

9. HeliGods

HeliGods Mark - Administrator Staff Member

If you want the blades tight, make them firm then hover at full head speed so they find center and then land, walk over and screw them down real tight and you will be set for the day, if you get a bit of shaking, just loosen a tad.. .. Tight blades are needed for things like the WALL, or you may very well boom strike, Just ask Min ..