News Toddler Hit By Rc Drone. Eye Badly Damaged.

Discussion in 'Industry News' started by The Informer, Dec 3, 2015.

By The Informer on Dec 3, 2015 at 9:44 AM
  1. The Informer

The Informer Administrator

Comments

Discussion in 'Industry News' started by The Informer, Dec 3, 2015.

1. simon

simon Well-Known Member

I was at a party and a pediatrician told me they would not let their children have drones because of the number of face / eye injuries they have seen through work. The problem is that most novices will lift them to eye level and try and control them. One of the big things I have noticed when helping people to fly is getting them out of the habit of hovering at eye level. It's a big no no
      Simon

2. smakmeharder

smakmeharder Administrator

Yes... the level of competency required to hover one is not much but basic orientation skills still apply. So you can imagine a barbecue where someone has a size-able drone that they have never flown before. Then they try to fly and as soon as it turns - no real control - and wham, straight into a person. The blades will cut. There needs to be some sort of instruction and regulation applied like the maaa - ie 9 meter rule. But i cant see it happening somehow. I can only see more people getting hurt.

3. Beaver

Beaver Well-Known Member

So goes the notion among everyday folk that are inexperienced and/or uneducated with model aircraft: "It's only a toy... it's harmless." It's no different from a chainsaw (except chainsaws don't fly) in that a chainsaw is normally not dangerous if the operator is educated in its use or at least has some common sense. Put same chainsaw in the hands of a small child.... obviously someone or something is gonna get hurt. There is no discretion on the retail level, they will sell anything to anyone in most cases regardless of any cautionary statements or suggested age criteria that may be printed on the box. And never mind the adults that buy such things for kids with the same lack of discretion.
      ..... (picks up magnifying glass) "Oh, look here, it says ages 12 and older!"

4. Mark Mickels

Mark Mickels Well-Known Member

shiz like this will end up being a burden to us all. Spinning stuff is dangerous, and everyone in the area should be wearing eye protection at the very least!

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
      • List
    5. smakmeharder

smakmeharder Administrator

There is no rule and regulation. Thats the problem @Mark Mickels . They really should be better controlled.

6. Mark Mickels

Mark Mickels Well-Known Member

The best control is common sense. Unfortunately it's not all that common anymore.

7. Beaver

Beaver Well-Known Member

Right. But where do they draw the line between toy and hobby grade? I don't pay much attention to drones and other multi-rotor craft, but I have noticed some drones that have "prop guards" for some safety margin and to avoid damage of collision. Maybe someone should recommend that all toy grade drones have such safety devices. If it gets to be more of a problem, some agency such as the Consumer Product Safety Commission could step in and require ALL of them be sold with guards installed. (even though some people would inevitably remove them)