Off Topic Well I Wouldn't Recommend It.... But It Is One Hell Of A Party Trick

Discussion in 'General Subjects' started by smakmeharder, Apr 23, 2015.

By smakmeharder on Apr 23, 2015 at 11:51 PM
  1. smakmeharder

smakmeharder Administrator

Wow... I dont think i would trust myself doing this.....
    10653297_10203094862131005_6868122829620081222_n.jpg 11168407_10203094861770996_5482668976214681027_n.jpg 10929056_10203094861810997_176093155956890607_n.jpg 11164699_10203094862331010_765661221472177087_n.jpg

Attached Files:

Comments

Discussion in 'General Subjects' started by smakmeharder, Apr 23, 2015.

1. Geena

Geena Well-Known Member

Hmmmm. Even if i could trust myself to do that, I wouldn`t. For one... its dangerous and in my opinion, just plain stupid. Going off the banners in the background, this took place at an event...which is even more reason not to do it. Also, what about the younger up and coming pilots who see this? I get that he has a right to do what he wants with his helicopters and his own safety. But what type of example does this type of thing set for younger up and coming pilots who may look up to him as a role model? I also get that he is not in the US and the rules and regulations at events/fun flies are obviously much different where he is. But there does come a point where common sense has to take effect. I don`t know about you guys, but I certainly don`t want present this type of image of myself to anyone. Especially kids who may look up to me as a pilot. This is just my tiny little two cents and your mileage may vary. But I think he could have made a better choice for a "crowd pleaser" than something like this.

• Like Like x 4
      • Agree Agree x 2
      • List
    2. Fredo

Fredo Well-Known Member

Its funny that this has been posted on Facebook and the general view is that the majority of respondents feel its OK when one deliberately puts himself in harms way as long as its only himself. They liken the danger and taunting to the Gods of this display to motor bike racing or extreme sports . I wonder if his mum and family feel the same should something go WRONG? I definitely agree with Geena's comments!

• Like Like x 3
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • List
    3. smakmeharder

smakmeharder Administrator

Yes I agree with both the sentiments above! While i dont mind some calculated risk taking, holding a buzzsaw that can shoot off in a different direction with a simple 1mm movement of a stick probably rates in the extreme category. Kids DONOT try this at home!

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 2
      • List
    4. Johnnybgoode

Johnnybgoode Active Member

This dude is crazy! Maybe he shook Chuck Norises hand. Without joking so much could go wrong here.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • List
    5. Mark Mickels

Mark Mickels Well-Known Member

Why would you take an unnecessary risk like this? It's like the fool in the states who tried to kiss a water moccasin and was bit in the face. There is no cure for stupid!

6. Beaver

Beaver Well-Known Member

I managed to whack myself in the head with my 120sr blades ONCE by accident and it hurt like hell for a minute. Here this guy is taking chances with a heli that's big enough to draw blood at the very least! Definitely not a good example for the kiddies.

7. utrinque

utrinque Well-Known Member

Live and let die...

I was hit (my arm) once with 700 blades. Main gear stripped my arm is still in one piece.

Heli was on the ground. I turned off throttle hold by accident. Immediately ESC applied idle-up 2 power, over 4kW. I was glad main gear is made of plastic not metal...

Last edited: Apr 25, 2015
    8. Manyc

Manyc Well-Known Member

That why now I have a dedicated bank that has sees only 0 on the throttle.. this way when I power on the heli, I still have throttle hold on, but the ESC wont arm.. do all my checks, put the heli down, and get ready to fly, I switch to that flight mode.. arms the esc... then I take off... When I land, I go into throttle hold, and into that 0 throttle flight mode.. that way I have to knock two switches...

9. utrinque

Errare humanum est

My accident happened after I landed. ESC was armed earlier.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2015
    10. Mr Bling

Mr Bling Active Member

Did you have many stitches?

11. utrinque

Thx for asking. No I didn't. Only bruises.

Keep in mind blades were not rotating when I turned off TH. Othervise tips of blades would have 500-700 km/h (linear) speed and probaboy cut meet to the bone, probably breaking it.

My point is we act sometimes against simple rules we know very well. One moment of inattention can be painful, expensive, devastaiting.

Anyway I would not call anybody stupid. We risk, we have fun, we should be aware of possible consequences.

12. Manyc

Manyc Well-Known Member

fair enough.. but that's also why when I land I flick both switches, into the 0 throttle flight mode, and throttle hold.. still need to knock two switches.. and guaranteed soft start...

but either way.. ouch...

13. utrinque

Very good point.

In general I do not trust slow start programed in ESC. Sometimes it works only at arming it up.

After this accident I programed my radio (Taranis) to always gradually increased throttle.

It is very convenient if during auto I change my mind and simple turn off throttle hold.

Signal on throttle channel can not increase abruptly grom zero to 100%.

It can save my main gear also.