Question? Which Heli

Discussion in 'The Chat Room' started by Chopperreed, May 2, 2016.

By Chopperreed on May 2, 2016 at 8:30 AM
  1. Chopperreed

Chopperreed New Member

Hi guys. New here, I like the look of this site. New into helicopters as well. Could someone tell me what is the best helicopter to start with? Also what is this i hear about a simulator and is it necessary?

Comments

Discussion in 'The Chat Room' started by Chopperreed, May 2, 2016.

1. Beaver

Beaver Well-Known Member

Welcome!
      A simulator can be a useful tool for flight training, and will pay for itself in money saved from buying replacement parts after needless crashing.
      What heli depends somewhat on how deep you wish to go into this hobby, and how much experience you already have.
      You might give us a short run-through in where you've been and what type of flying you wish to achieve. Your budget will also come into play as far as what type of heli..... and there are many options to choose from.

• Like Like x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
      • List
    2. Manyc

Manyc Well-Known Member

A simulator is required.. the amount of money it has saved me over the years would be staggering.. in fact I doubt I would still be in the hobby without it..

As for which heli.. how much you want to spend? what size you looking at? if something on the large size I would start with a Trex 450L Mainly as it all comes in one kit for what you need.. and pretty much everyone has built one in the past.

also find a local club, join, chat, and learn..

3. Geena

Geena Well-Known Member

In my opinion, a good simulator is key. I wish I had know about them when I started flying. Learning to fly, would have been a much better experience for me had I had a simulator. As for which helicopter to start with, I agree with @Beaver that experience, budget and how deep you want to go will determine a lot. I personally recommend not going out and buying a large helicopter right out of the gate. Blade makes quite a few entry level smaller helicopters that have self leveling capability, which will aid in the learning process. Another good thing to consider, is to find a flying club which has some helicopter guys, and get help from them. Most of us are very eager to teach new pilots how to fly, and to do it safely.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 2
      • List
    4. Chopperreed

Chopperreed New Member

Hey so much everyone, very helpfull. My flying is limited to a twister coaxial - i just got hooked! Then i found this site and saw some of the videos - absolutely incredible because i never knew a helicopter could fly upside down. what would be the right simulator to get? I dont have a controller but i do have determination to learn. I am amazed.. I would want to spend what is right - ie something i am going to obviously destroy several times i imagine. And I would spend as i progress probably. Again thankyou...

5. MickyD

MickyD Well-Known Member

It's an awesome rush! I use others as an inspiration and fly to entertain myself. It's a blast. Sim is essential!

6. 3dmick

3dmick Well-Known Member

Hello chopp chopp flying Rc Heli is awesome fun but it is more addictive then crack you need more money then
      Neville Bartos Lol you will also find your self
      Looking at farm land paddocks thinking hmmm I could fly in there
      Get a good sim put some tunes on crack a can and lay the smack down

• Funny Funny x 2
      • Like Like x 1
      • List
    7. Beaver

Beaver Well-Known Member

I started with a coax too.
      The options have changed a bit since I started. To use a sim or to fly a heli, you will need a good radio. If you want to start with a sim, look at a combo package like this one:
      http://www.horizonhobby.com/RTM55R6...2LdaCspectE49tkIYLHCn1Ty-wpJ0JdoPFxoCRB3w_wcB
      ....that comes with everything you need including a good radio that you can use for pretty much any entry-level heli and above. Once you get familiar and are ready for a heli, you will already have a radio and can save money by choosing from the BNF models that will bind with the radio you already have.
      If you want to skip the sim and get right to it, Blade offers some new models as RTF that come complete with radio such as the fixed pitch 120s. The slightly more advanced collective pitch models that are capable of flying inverted as you have seen are such as the Nano CPs, and the 230s. All 3 of these Blade models are programmed with their S.A.F.E. 3-mode flight system that has a self leveling function to help avoid crashing if you get too far out of control. You can check those out by going to Blade helicopters or Horizon Hobby sites.
      One word of caution, the RTF packages usually come with a lesser radio. If you plan to stick with it, you may want to opt for a DX6i (like the one in the Sim combo) or better and then get a BNF heli that comes without radio. That way, if you decide to get a better heli down the road, you won't have to upgrade to a better radio.

Last edited: May 2, 2016
    8. smakmeharder

smakmeharder Administrator

9. Chopperreed

Chopperreed New Member

Thanks Beaver. I will purchase this and see how it goes. Its not too expensive

10. Hellifun

Hellifun Active Member

I would do a lot of reading and research first. then put what these guys say together with that and decide what's best for you..my opinion